Saturday, February 4, 2017

Los Angeles Trip with Friends

During Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, me and Chen went to Los Angeles from Sacramento. We both booked our flight together, so that we will have the same flight. We planned to depart from Sacramento on Saturday, January 14, 2017 around 10:40 am and arrive before 1pm. Unfortunately, for us, it was very foggy that day, which cause a terrible delay in our flight and we waited over 2 hours to board our flight. It also caused our friend, Lily who was waiting for us in Los Angeles after a flight from San Francisco to wait for us even longer. The plane ride was fine besides the fact that I was very sick and was having coughs here and there. When we finally arrived in Los Angeles, we took a shuttle to a rental station. From the rental station, Chen booked us a Uber to our hotel. It took about an hour to get to our hotel from the airport. I really did not expect it to take that long.

Lily decided to eat at the Korean restaurant across the street. Each of us ordered a dish. Chen suggested I order a soup because I was sick, so I did. We also ordered kimchi fried rice and pork belly with squid. When the food came we digged into mostly the kimchi fried rice and pork belly. I only tasted a little bit of the soup and didn't like it too much. It had too much of a garlicy taste, which I didn't like. I also didn't feel like eating much because I was very sick.

Afterwards, we headed to a very popular artwork, which was angel wings. Many people go to the angel wings to take nice pictures. Lily was very excited for it and took like what felt like a 100 pictures. Me and Chen didn't take too much pictures. One thing I realized when taking photos there was that I was very short. I wished I was taller, so the wings would look more like it was attached to me.

Our mid late night snack was at a doughnut shop called Dk Donut's. It has the popular Ube doughnut. I remembered Lily showed us a video of the place on FB and it looked very good. But, after trying the doughnut, I realized that the doughnut was just ok. I felt that I tried better donuts. Actually, I still think the do-nut place down the street from my house is the best tasting. Yes, even better tasting than Krispy Kreme donuts.

One of the places I really wanted to go to during the trip was the Griffin Observatory. I saw that it had so many good reviews on Yelp. I also really wanted to see a night view of LA. I love looking at night views. One day, I'll eventually go to that one in San Francisco too. When we arrived at the Griffin Observatory, we noticed so many cars and people. I just couldn't believe how many people were there. We also couldn't help, but notice the beautiful night view. I absolutely loved it! I would definitely go back there. Oh, and the Griffin observatory is a museum as well. I loved looking around there. One of my favorite parts of the museum was the weighing stations that allowed me to see how heavy I would be on Saturn or another planet.

We almost didn't go get dinner because Chen and Lily didn't feel too hungry. But, I felt that if I wanted to feel better soon I would need to keep eating and not skip any meals. Eventually, the two gained some appetite and we decided on a sushi place. We scheduled for  an uber to pick us up and that uber driver left us after only a few minutes of waiting! That was definitely a frustrating experience.

When we arrived at the sushi place, I decided to get a bento box. But, I immediately regret it after ordering because I wouldn't be able to finish everything. Gosh, I hate being sick. To our surprise, we each received a complimentary miso soup, which was also quite tasty! The sushi place was close enough for us to walk back and actually turned out to be a 10 minute walk.

On our second and only full day in Los Angeles, we headed to Universal Studios. I was excited for this because I've heard so many great things about it. I was also not excited about it because I really don't like going on roller coasters or any rides that causes motion sickness. Little did I know that the first thing that I would do is go on those very rides. We first headed towards the popular Harry Potter ride, which was waited in line for for over an hour. The 3D looked great, but I freaked out when it looked down sometimes because I was afraid of heights and I hated how the ride moved us. We also went on the Minion ride, which gave me a big headache afterwards.

When we had lunch, me and Chen decided to split our sandwich. We were both very shocked that the restaurant did not have mayonnaise. I mean... the restaurant had ketchup...but no mayonnaise? That sandwich wasn't even that great and was very plain. There was also no other sauces to enhance the flavor of the sandwich. I was disappointed in the meal since it was costly and didn't taste great, especially since we were at Universal Studios.

I would have to say that my favorite part of Universal Studios is the Universal Studio tour. Even though it might have caused me some motion sickness, I loved that it introduced us to buildings that were used in movies or shows. There was also some 3D stuff in between, which caused me the headaches, but I really have to say the King Kong one was very cool. I loved that we were able to see the Bates Motel. Although Bates Motel isn't my favorite movie, it's definitely a classic and one I'll still remember.
 
That night, I also finally visited LACMA. There was also many people there. The size of the place was how I would imagine it. We didn't stay too long since Chen and Lily already been there before. So, I took a few photos before heading back. 

Korean BBQ was the long awaited dinner that night. It was all you can eat, but we still had to make sure that we actually finished everything we ordered. It was good, but I wished they would give smaller portions.

On our final day, we packed up all of our belongings from the hotel to check out and left our stuff at the front while we headed to brunch at Blu Jam Cafe. When we arrived, we had to wait 45 minutes more because the restaurant is very popular. We decided to walk around and check out the shops. I found myself a shirt that says "Los Angeles" in it and has a city view. I thought it was so cute! I can't wait to show it off when it gets warmer. Although toast was the most popular item at the menu, I really didn't feel like eating toast for brunch. I ordered a Eggs Benedict instead.  I thought the food there was ok. I really expected more of the place because of the amount of yelp reviews it had. I was also surprised that the place allowed a dog to sit inside the restaurant.


The way back home was too fast. Going back home always feels rushed to me and I never feel ready to go back. I want to travel more. I want to go back to places I love and discover new places I'm amazed with.

No comments:

Post a Comment