Monday, December 28, 2015

2015 in Review

I'd like to start off by thanking everyone who spent time with me this year, who spent time asking me how my days was or even shared a few conversations with me, and/or have done something for me because you all played a part in making my year better. I'm especially thankful for those several people who gave me presents for my birthday and Christmas and I barely hanged out with them or talked to them. Here's to more adventures and getting to knowing you all more.


"Really? You don't seem like a shy person to me."

"You know what? You are one of those who don't like coming to work not because you don't mind what you are doing, but because you wish you were doing bigger and better things, but you aren't."

"This means war"

"You are like the most prepared person ever."

"You know how I can tell that you were going to give me something?...You asked me if I like it, which is like a 90% chance you''ll give it to me."

"They may have went to Berkeley and Stanford and have these professions, but I have a much bigger heart than them."

Sorry if these quotes weren't exactly word for word, but they were very close to what I remember people saying.


The only thing that I managed to do this year that I been wanting to do for a while was go to San Luis Obispo. I been there before, but I wanted to go back. As part of my trip, I visited Morro Bay, which was a nice, small town. I stopped by Hearst Castle, which I loved because of the story and the artifacts you'll spot there and nowhere else. Due to my pinterest activity, I discovered Crystal Hermitage and I'm glad I made the visit there because its beautiful. Oh wait, I also got to go to Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm, which was a cool experience. I went to my first lighthouse this year in Point Reyes and hope to go to more in the future. Maybe I will go to New York next year? It's been in the talks for a while now. Chicago and New Orleans are still on my list and will forever be until I make the trip. I can't forget about Italy though. I realized that I haven't bothered planning for Italy because I'm took broke. But, then, I realized I should plan early, so I know what to save up for.  It gets me excited even though it might be false hope and will strengthen my travel bug.


I guess the reason why I didn't travel so much this year was because I tried so much to change my situation so that I won't be lazy and to make myself do more with my life. But, as always, life doesn't turn out in my favor. Just because I changed a thing or two, it doesn't guarantee another. That's something I have to continually remind myself because that's a hard lesson for me to accept.


I think one of the most unexpected ways I changed this year was my thoughts of dogs. Before Jack came along, I would be afraid to go near most dogs. I have 2 dogs before Jack, but they are outside dogs and more unpredictable and not trained, so that's why I'm not around them much. But, Jack helped changed me thoughts of most dogs. I check out every dog that I see and think of how precious the dog is instead of fearing the dog.


I don't watch much of anything anymore, but this year I tried to incorporate more shows into my life. One of them was watching an old show from childhood, which was Ally McBeal. I mostly wanted to watch is because I remember Robert Downey Jr. in it and wanted to know how he was a part of the show. The show didn't seem appealing to me in the beginning, but as I kept on watching it I liked it. One of my favorite lines from the show was from John Cage (Peter MacNicol)- If you think back and replay your year and if it doesn't bring you tears either of joy or sadness consider it wasted. I really liked that quote. I liked it because it accepts sadness and negativity, which is often not mentioned as something that should be part of your experiences. But, there are dark times in people lives even though they don't want to mention it.


I'm not the most selfless person out there. But, this year, I really noticed the selflessness of some friends. This year, I realized that some people had a bigger heart than I realized. They watch out for others and think about others. They buy food for their friends and worry if they ate or not. Those friends have taught me to do more things for others and to put others first in more circumstances. I'm not a greedy person, but I'd say independent and usually only take care of myself and my own needs. Well, I guess that means greedy in my time and my efforts. I've learned to also think more about others and how I can help them. It meant that I wanted to do more for my friends because I wanted them to know how much I appreciate them. And, I learned the values of others and to appreciate what you have in friends and other things.


This year past by so quickly, it's kind of like a blur for me. I would like to say it's complete for me because so many good things happen and I'm surrounded by wonderful people. But, I can't just because there's goals I haven't completed and I feel disappointed at myself a lot of the time. I just can't until I get what I been wanting for years.

2 comments: