Friday, October 16, 2015

My Thoughts on Volunteering

I always strongly believed that it's important to give back to our community. I don't always have the money for it, but I do have the time, energy, and desire to be involved in my community.

None of my friends have ever encouraged me to take part on a volunteer opportunity. To my knowledge, none of my friends are a regular volunteer. I've had some friends and/or family members who keep asking me why I need to volunteer. Some have even suggested that I quit it because it takes time out of my busy schedule. But, I feel that I want to volunteer and I try to make room for it. Volunteering is something I started around high school and wanted to continue from then on.

I've always tried to look for opportunities I enjoy on my own because it's my time and my choice where I want to spend my time. I've volunteered in gardens, botanical conservatories, and greenhouses. I like volunteering in places that allow me to grow plants and provide a relaxing atmosphere. I really like being surrounded by healthy beautiful plants and vegetables. Somehow, it always makes me feel relaxed no matter how tired or stressed I am that today. I've also volunteered for the food bank, youth programs, and museums. I admire what those organizations are doing for the community. I really like those volunteer opportunities because those programs are really striving to do something for the community and I get to be a part of that. I'm so glad that I made the decision to be involved in them.

I find that I like volunteer opportunities that are more long lasting and not a one time thing. I like that I will always have the chance to meet new volunteers and now more about my responsibilities. I also like going back to the volunteer "home base", which I refer to as the place where I come back again and again to volunteer. I like that volunteering allows me to escape from my other responsibilities for a short period of time. I like that I sometimes get to serve members of the communities, which is something that I wanted to do whether it's a career or not.

As of now, I'm currently in a volunteer program that I enjoy and hope to be a part of it as long as I can. A few years ago, I decided that I want to find a volunteer program that I can be part of for a long time and I feel that the one that I am in right now meets that goal. I decided that when I'm older and retired I want to be one of those people who volunteer and help out others in their community.

No comments:

Post a Comment