Tuesday, October 6, 2015

UC Davis China Summer Abroad 2010 Reunion

Since we last studied abroad together in 2010, we managed to have some reunions with most of the group. I've also had other classes with the group and saw them on campus. However, as time passes, we all went our different directions.


But, no matter what, I will always remember all the good times we spent there. It definitely called for some interesting stories.

Wang Lin (Michelle) who was our tour guide and interpreter in China made a trip to America. Upon her visit, Adrian coordinated a reunion meet up in San Francisco. I struggled with the decision of whether to attend or not, but decided I should because it's not often I would see old friends. So,  I decided to drive to San Francisco all by myself for the first time. It was alright, but I hated that traffic delayed my arrival.


My first stop in San Francisco was Purple Kow. Afterwards, I drove to B*Star to eat dinner with the group. It's the first Burmese restaurant I ever been to. I actually wanted to try Burmese food since my last time in San Francisco. I knew I had to try Burmese food in San Francisco because of its diverse populations and the high ratings for the Burmese restaurants. The first time I heard of Burma (Myanmar) was when I was studying abroad in China. Regina told me that her family is from Burma and some other background of Burma. Regina, Shoun, and I also visited the Myanmar pavilion while we were at the Shanghai World Expo in 2010!


I ended up ordering the Pork entree with vegetables. And, it was unbelievably delicious. The meat itself was the best part. I especially loved the skin. I like the rice and bok choy that came with the dish. The soup that was shared among us, I didn't enjoy it that much. I will definitely have Burmese food again. I'm looking forward to trying their curry, desserts, and some other dishes :).


When I arrived at B*Star, everyone else was already there, but didn't order yet. It was nice seeing everyone again. Everyone looked the same to me.

I was able to meet Matt's girlfriend at the restaurant, who helped us take some photos.


It was great catching up with everyone. I had a really good time hearing everybody's stories of how they been and just catching up. I hope we have more reunions in the future. I also hope Wang Lin comes to California more, so we can see her.


After finishing dinner, we walked to a boba place since Michelle wanted to try boba in San Francisco. We also meet Andrea at the boba place called Little Sweet. I'm glad that a good number of us managed to meet up for a reunion. I understand it always gets harder as people move and have too much commitments.


While we were at Little Sweet, we had a discussion of the boba place we used to go in China that was near our hotel. We knew that the name had the word "girl" in it, but forgot what it was. I thought it was "ok girl". I remembered having a photo of it and its "My.girl".

Ah, good times :). I can't wait for the next reunion we have together. Maybe next time, I will see more members of the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment