Thursday, April 9, 2015

Hearst Castle in San Simeon, CA

A week ago, I made my trip to Central Coast to visit San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay. Along the way, I wanted to make a stop to Hearst Castle in San Simeon, CA. The drive to Hearst Castle from my place took about 6 hours with one trip to the gas station. I brought along Emily and my cousin. It was my first trip with them and found myself annoyed by them sometimes.

When we first arrived, we entered the Visitor Center. The visitor center has a shop, Starbucks, theater, and a few restaurants. There is also seating outside to view the area. There were bathrooms inside, but we couldn't use them due to a problem. I think it was due to chemical problems?

The process to get my tickets was pretty efficient. But, there was still a line to get them although I already made a reservation. The bus ride up to the hill was nice. It was informative and offered a great view.


When we arrived at Hearst Castle, we immediately began our Cottages and Kitchen tour. There were other tours to choose from, but I decided on this tour. I figured that I'm bound to go to Hearst Castle again sometime in my life.


The first thing that our tour guide showed us was a Roman sarcophagus. When she described it to us, I can't believe that William Randolph Hearst had 7 of them. I, then, wondered what else Mr. Hearst had in the castle and cottages. Later, I was surprised to learn that he still had a warehouse full of priceless, old, and historic items.


The wine cellar was one of two places that we saw inside the castle. It looked pretty cool. There was so many different kinds of beers, wines, and other drinks. However, there was only one drink in there that was still edible since temperature was not controlled.

As we walked through the cottages, I thought about how nice it would have been to stay in one of those cottages as a guest. I also thought about how nice and expensive the place and items were at the place. We didn't get to go to all the cottages. We didn't get to go the cottage that was blown up in the 70s around the time when Patricia Hearst was kidnapped.


Our last stop on the tour was the kitchen inside the castle. It was a huge kitchen. I imagine the many different kinds of desserts, bakery, and dishes that were created for guests. It's definitely a nice kitchen meant to feed masses.


After our tour, we were allowed to walk around the area and take photos.


On our way to the bus stop, we were able to view the Roman pool, which was absolutely stunning. I would have loved to take a dip there.

I really enjoyed my time at Hearst Castle and I would recommend it. A good learning experience and you get a good view, as well as the opportunity to look at historic items!!

No comments:

Post a Comment