Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Shooting that Changed It All

I didn't live in one place my whole life. I didn't live in the same neighborhood my whole life. I didn't attend the same elementary school from kindergarten to 6th grade. There are numerous times when I thought what life would be like for me if I had never moved and grew up in the same place my whole life.

I don't remember much about being a child, but I remember I was living life and I enjoyed it. I loved playing on the monkey bars so much that my hands would get crispy and dry, but I didn't care I was having fun. I loved hanging out with friends and having fun. I didn't care if I was going to get yelled at or chased around if I sneaked outside of the house. I didn't care much about academics and my mom had to force me to do my homework in many occasions. My brother was praised since he did better than me academically and he is 3 years younger than me. But, that didn't seem to bother me much or encourage me to study. However, someday my mom managed to get me a tutor.

My tutor and I had many of our tutoring sessions just outside of the apartments where I lived. One of the tutoring sessions I remembered she bought expired food and we bought ended up throwing up the whole thing on the lawn. One time I wanted to show my mom this weird thing I caught from the sky, but she brushed it off my fingers. But, there's one memory that I don't think I will ever forget although I was 7 or 8 years old at the time.

One day, me, my tutor, and 2 other friends who live in the apartment complex were outside. Me and a friend was sitting on the grass with the tutor working on something for school and I think hopskotch was also involved somewhere in the mix? All of a sudden, there were a few gun shots that were fired. All of us immediately were on the ground and tried to protect ourselves. I noticed there were probably around 5-10 guys that were probably around their 20s standing around a car and just shooting. When it was all over, no one that I know of was harmed. However, we did notice that some of our cars were shot. My brother was with my mom at the time in my home and they noticed a few gun shots in the home.

That event really scared my mom because after the incident, my mom moved us into a house. Me and my brother were really against it. Even after we had moved, we were begging our home to move back to the apartment where our friends were and such. I missed living in the apartment area. I missed being able to walk easily to the park and I missed the friends that I used to play with. But, since we moved me and my brother were brought to a new area, neighborhood, and new elementary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment