Friday, June 29, 2012

What I've Learned During University

I've completed four years of undergraduate life. I've learned a lot through those four years, so I must have something to say about those years. In this blog post, I'm going to reflect on some lessons I've learned, as well as my own personal advice for those who are entering university.

1. Take the time to learn about major and university requirements

When I first considered double majoring, I decided that I had to learn about the school requirements. I studied the requirements for both my major and the university. I knew that if I wanted to stay in the university I had to learn what was expected and meet those expectations. Although I felt that I understood it, I went to see one of my major advisers every quarter to ensure that I was fulfilling requirements and that I was taking the proper courses. Because I learned about the requirements and double checked on them, I was able to graduate in four years with a double major and a minor.

2. Understand your weaknesses and don't let it overtake you

I was aware that I had to keep good grades during university, but I also learned that I can be kicked out if I did not do well. When I learned about that, it became one of my worst fears in university. Getting kicked out because I could not do well in my courses. I knew that I had trouble with math and I had D's in high school and did not want that to happen during university. I learned that there was tutoring available and went as much as possible. And, yes, I passed my math courses!

3. Use your resources

I think that was one of my most valuable lessons I learned and took advantage of the opportunities. I used tutoring. I went to the reserves and stayed in the library for hours just so I wouldn't have to buy a book that was a $100+. I had my resume and papers checked, which provided me helpful advice and ideas of what I should change and add. I went to The Pantry and got myself some good snacks or other useful items, which was helpful in times of need or desire of items.

4. Stay Motivated

When you are off in college or university you may be away from parents or some good friends, which may means that you don't always have a support system like before. But, remember that support comes in different ways and that your friends and family would want you to succeed although they can't be physically present. Those college courses may be difficult than what you are used to, but that doesn't mean that you are a bad student or just not as good as others. It just means that you need to study harder and find new academic habits or strategies. I discovered that fear or other forms of motivation are helpful and can help you succeed, so find your own forms to relax or new ways of encouragement.

Of course, I have more advice, but I can't write about all of them on this post. I think that you can learn so much during university. Each persons experience is unique and it is up to the person to decide what he/she wants for their experience. But, if you do take my advice, I hope it helps. It surely helped me during university experience, especially during rough times.

No comments:

Post a Comment